Income tax on the following categories of income shall be exempted:
3. Compensation for death or injury and that obtained in pursuance of the National Compensation Act;
4. Pension or compensation for death received in accordance with applicable acts or regulations by the bereaved family of a person who died in performing official duties. Pension or compensation for death in one lump sum or by installments received in accordance with applicable acts or regulations by the bereaved family of a person died not in performing official duties with the lump sum or the total amount paid in all installments in one year calculated together with the amount of the Separation Income provided in Paragraph 1, Article 14 hereof; however, the total amount received shall not be more than the deductible amount provided in Category 9, Paragraph 1, Article 14 hereof;
5. Payment for special disbursement, allowance in kind or cash in lieu thereof and housing allowances received from the government by public servants, teachers, military personnel, policemen and laborers; and that portion included in the uniform-scale salary received by employees of state-run organizations representing allowance in kind and housing allowance;
6. Interest on savings of a compulsory nature made in accordance with act or ordinance;
7. Compensation payment made under life insurance, labor insurance and insurance for public servants, military personnel and teachers;
8. Scholarships and subsidies granted by governments of the Republic of China or foreign governments, international institutions, educational, cultural, and scientific research organizations or associations, and other public or private organizations for encouragement of advanced studies, research or participation in scientific and professional training, except for the scholarships or subsidies received as the remuneration for services rendered to the grantors;
9. Income, derived by virtue of office, of foreign diplomatic officials, consular officials and other persons entitled to treatment accordable to diplomatic officials in the service of foreign embassies, legations and consulates in the Republic of China;
10. Income, derived by virtue of office, of employees, other than diplomatic officials, consular officials and persons entitled to diplomatic treatment, who, being nationals of a foreign country, are employed by the embassy, legation or consulate of their country or by subsidiary agencies thereof in the Republic of China; provided, that reciprocal treatment is accorded by the foreign country concerned to employees of Chinese nationality employed by the embassy, legation or consulate of the Republic of China or by subsidiary agencies thereof, in the foreign country concerned.
11. Salaries paid by foreign governmental agencies, organizations or educational and cultural institutions to foreign technicians and professors of universities and colleges for services rendered within the territory of the Republic of China under technical cooperation or cultural and educational exchange agreements made by and between such foreign governmental agencies, organizations or educational and cultural institutions and those of the Republic of China;
13. Income derived by organizations or institutions, which are established for educational, cultural, public welfare or charitable purposes and are in conformity with the criteria prescribed by the Executive Yuan, from the operations of their own and their subsidiaries;
14. Surplus profit of consumer cooperatives operated in accordance with act, doing no business with outsiders;
16. Income earned by an individual or by a profit-seeking enterprise from the sale of land, or by an individual from the sales of apparel or furniture for household use, or income earned by a profit-seeking enterprise from the transactions of sale of property for the purpose of stockpiling war materials in accordance with the regulations established by the government. The portion of stock or bond transactions income, earned by an individual or a profit-seeking enterprise through sale of stock or corporate bonds of companies limited by shares, attributable to changes in the valuation of said securities from date of acquisition to December 31, 1973.
17. Properties received by way of inheritance, bequest or gift, except properties obtained as a gift from a profit-seeking enterprise;
18. All kinds of income derived by governments of various levels;
19. Income of public utility enterprises owned by governments of various levels;
20. Business income obtained from the operation inside the territory of the Republic of China by a foreign enterprise engaged in international transportation; provided that reciprocal treatment is accorded by the foreign country concerned to an international transport enterprise of the Republic of China operating in its territory;
21. Royalty paid to a foreign enterprise for the use of its patent rights, trademarks, and/or various kinds of special licensed rights in order to introduce new production technology or products, improve product quality, or reduce production cost under the approval of the competent authority as a special case, as well as remuneration paid to a foreign enterprise for its technical services rendered in construction of a factory for an important productive enterprise determined and approved as such by the competent authority;
22. Interest derived from loans offered to the government of the Republic of China or legal entities within the territory of the Republic of China by foreign government or international financial institutions for economic development, and interest derived from the financing facilities offered to their branch offices and other financial institutions within the territory of the Republic of China by foreign financial institutions. Interest derived from loans extended to legal entities within the territory of the Republic of China by foreign financial institutions for financing important economic construction projects under the approval of the Ministry of Finance. Interest derived from favorable-interest export loans offered to or guaranteed for the legal entities within the territory of the Republic of China by foreign governmental institutions and foreign financial institutions which are specialized in offering export loans or guarantees;
23. Individual income derived from written articles, copyright books, musical compositions, musical productions, dramas, cartoons, or as remuneration for speeches and lectures on an hourly basis. However, the total amount of such income for the whole year shall not exceed NT$ 180,000;
24. Various payments paid to personnel engaged in handling various kinds of examinations held by governmental agencies or academic organizations as commissioned by such agencies and in entrance examinations held by public and private schools of various levels.
Criteria of "performing official duties" as referred to in Item 4 of the preceding Paragraph shall be stipulated by the Executive Yuan.